The 2010 Robert K. Campbell Lecture at DeSales University will host an essay contest with three $100.00 prizes. The contest, sponsored by the Lehigh County Conference of Churches, is open to undergraduate students from colleges in the Lehigh Valley area and beyond. The topic to be addressed is “What does it mean to be religious and spiritual in study, work, and play?” Essays should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 p.m. EST, on Monday, March 1. Guidelines for the contest are listed below.
Essays will be judged on both style and content. Judges will look for writing that is clear, articulate, and logically organized. Winning essays must express a clear point of view. Essays will be evaluated in a fair and unbiased manner multi-round judging process.
Participants will be notified of the contest results by Friday, March 19. Winning writers will have the opportunity to present their papers at 4:00 p.m. during this year’s Campbell Lecture Undergraduate Presentation Session on Thursday, March 25, in the DeSales University Center. At 5:15 p.m., during the Campbell Dinner, winners will be hosted, celebrated, and receive their awards.
The Campbell Memorial Lectureship is an annual event sponsored by the Lehigh County Conference of Churches and hosted by DeSales in memory of the late Robert K. Campbell, a former chief executive officer of the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company. Campbell actively encouraged Christian unity and was instrumental in community efforts trough which the religious community of the Lehigh Valley could put their energies and motivation to work serving the needs of the less fortunate and underprivileged. To honor Campbell the Committee on Ecumenism of the Lehigh County Council of Churches established an annual lectureship focusing on Christian unity.
- Essay contest is open to college undergraduates.
- No application is required.
- Essay should not be previously published.
- Essay must be between 600 and 1,200 words. Conduct a word count before submission.
- Essay must be solely the work of the entrant. Plagiarized essays will be disqualified.
Entrants may submit only one essay. Decisions of the judges are final.
- Employees of Lehigh County Council of Churches, its Board, and their immediate family members are not eligible for this contest.
- Past winners are not eligible for this contest.
- All entries become the property of Lehigh County Council of Churches and are not returned.
- Your essay’s title, name, school name, email address, and day- time phone number should appear only on the cover page.
- On subsequent pages insert the last four numbers of your phone number in the footer.
- Insert pages numbers (header or footer).
- Essay must be submitted no later than 11: 59 P.M., EST on March 1, 2010.
- Submit essays via email to email@example.com
To ensure participant anonymity, cover sheets and identifying information will be removed and essays are assigned a number. Winner’s names remain unknown to judges until after the essays have been ranked and results finalized. Essays will be checked for plagiarism by Lehigh County Council of Churches.
For more information contact please contact Father Mark F. Plaushin, OSFS, director of the DeSales Emergency Management Office, at 610-282-1100, ext. 2242, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Release: 2010 Robert K. Campbell Lecture to Feature Essay Contest for College Undergraduates | Posted on: 2/18/2010
For more info:
Tom McNamara, Executive Director of Communications
DeSales University | 2255 Station Avenue | Center Valley, PA 18034
610.282.1100 x1219 | Tom.McNamara@desales.edu