What do I do if I want furniture removed or need a loft?
The policy is that all University furniture has been assigned to certain rooms and cannot be moved out of that room. Do not request that furniture be moved, the request will not be granted. The only time you are allowed to move furniture is if you are originally in a triple at the beginning of the year - the extra set of furniture will be removed in this case. Lots are only provided in 5 person suites.
What do I do if I loose money in a vending or change machine?
Fill out a service request in order to be reimbursed for money that you lost in vending machines / laundry machines. The money is refunded thru campus mail. If you need a refund for the change machine, contact University Police.
How often do they check smoke detectors?
Once a month - always in the afternoon. If a smoke detector is missing or damaged there will be a $25.00 fine.
Who do I contact about garbage and waste removal issues?
You can contact Sean McSorley at x1414. A work-study is going to empty your garbage in your building (this only applies to the common areas, not the individual rooms) everyday except on the weekends.
What are the repsonsibilities for the housekeeping staff?
The housekeeper/custodian is expected to clean and maintain common areas. The housekeeper is expected to clean the bathroom and sink (in the two room suites) once a week. (Be informed that they are not required to clean your dishes and/or are not required to move a lot of stuff out of the way when they are cleaning your sink.)
How do I get a hold of a plunger if I need one?
You should not try to plunge your own sink or toilet. Fill out a Service request form. (See above). If it is after hours and an emergency contact University Police.
Who do I contact for housekeeping comments?
You can contact Sean McSorley at x1414. Feel free to compliment any housekeeper/custodian/maintenance staff in any way you feel appropriate. Also, feel free to inform their supervisors how well they are doing.
- If your outlet does not work next to your sink - try hitting the GFI switch next to your sink. The GFI switch consists of two buttons. There is a black one and a red one. If your outlet does not work hit the black button that says "reset" and this should reset the outlet. If this does not work fill out a maintenance report. In the Heights, the GFI switch:
- 1-6 Breaker Panel in the Lounge
- 7-12 Breaker Panel in Room 1
13-20 2nd Floor Bathroom
- If your toilet is overflowing, turn the valve that is behind the toilet, near the floor clockwise (Remember: "Rightie Tightie"). Then call Maintenance.
- If you AC is leaking water, turn it off. This probably means that it is frozen. Fill out a maintenance report. If you leave it on while it is frozen, it is going to create a large puddle on the floor.
- If the shower/sink is blocked - do not use it.
- Do not flush pads/tampons/etc. down the toilet. This will clog the toilet.
- DeChantal - the heater will only work if it is below 60 outside otherwise you will only get AC. There is nothing we can do about the heat unless the temperature is below 60 outside.
The first time you turn on your heater it smells like smoke. This is the dust burning off the top. If it continues for an extended period of time, turn the unit off and fill out a maintenance report.
- Do not hang anything with duck tape/nails- you will get charged for repainting the room.
- Cans/bottles that are shoved in the toilet will break it.
- Food/candles right on the vents of your heater will cause it to smell and may start to burn.
Permanent markers do not come off furniture, you will be charged for new furniture.
- Remember the sinks in the rooms do not have a garbage disposal. Scrape dishes into the garbage cans prior to rinsing in the sink. (Mac & Cheese will really clog a sink drain.)