- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano (or combination of both)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, penne, or fusilli, etc.)
Pesto: In a food processor, grind the basil, oil, cheeses, toasted pine nuts and minced garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be prepared 2 days ahead)
Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
Add green beans to the same pot and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer to the bowl with potatoes.
Cook pasta in the same pot until al dente (tender but still firm to bite).
Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Transfer pasta to bowl with potatoes and green beans.
Whisk reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid into pesto. Add pesto to pasta mixture and toss thoroughly to coat.
Fat: 37.4 g
Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
Cholesterol: 21.3 mg
Sodium: 434 mg
Carbs: 54.4 g
Fiber: 6.5 g
Protein: 14.9 g