- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, penne, or fusilli, etc.)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes - optional
Cook pasta until al dente (tender but still firm to bite). Drain and rinse until cool.
While pasta is cooking:
Chop the vegetables and put into a large bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and basil. Set aside.
Add cooled pasta to the vegetables and toss with the oil and vinegar dressing. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and grated cheese. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Fat: 27.7 g
Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
Cholesterol: 21.3 mg
Sodium: 801 mg
Carbs: 50.7 g
Fiber: 8.5 g
Protein: 13.2 g