Major and career exploration is a process that requires you to reflect on your values, personality, interests, and skills. The Career Services Office offers tools to guide you in making these decisions.
Resources Available (to help advise and inform you about majors)
- Faculty and/or staff in each major academic department whom you can consult about career options associated with their majors
- What Can I Do With This Major?
Whether you are exploring multiple majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this site will help you connect majors to careers. Learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate. Continue your research on majors and careers through the websites provided.
- Conduct informational interviews, which consists of talking to people in your career field of interest
- MyPlan - This online career assessment tool allows you to assess your personality, skills, interests, and values. In addition, this resource provides you with detailed information on various career options (i.e. salary, education required, job training, similar career titles)
1. Log into: www.desales.myplan.com
2. To get started click on the "Create Account" tab.
3. Complete the information requested, and on the second page enter the License Code: 9HC7TGDB. Chose the "Assessment" tab to access and complete the following assessments: Personality, Skills Profiler, Interest Inventory, Values Assessment
5. You can view your results by clicking on "My Portfolio" on the left menu, and then choosing the assessments you completed. The "Career Match" tab within each report offers a list of occupations for your consideration. If you click on the individual matches, it will bring you to further information on those individual careers. There is also a tab called "Majors," which shares with you various resources on searching for and gathering information on majors and degrees.
After completing the MyPlan assessment please contact career services to schedule an appointment to discuss your results and how to move forward in your major/career exploration process!
About the Process of Choosing a Major
About DeSales University Majors
Additional Resources: Career Exploration
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Wet Feet: Career Profiles
Career Informational Interviews