DeSales University complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 with respect to the accommodation of disabilities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations, so that students can fully participate in the academic life of the University. Students who need assistance should contact Barbara Ryan Hausman, Coordinator of Learning and Disability Services, at 610.282.1100, ext. 1453 on a timely basis.
Because DeSales University is a small, private, Catholic, liberal arts university, the resources available for students with disabilities are more limited than would be those of a much larger university. However, in some cases, the personal attention and relationships that may be found in a small school environment may compensate for the somewhat limited resources. We, like all post-secondary schools, expect that students who plan to attend the University will have already acquired compensatory strategies and will be willing to be self-advocates with faculty and staff. Students with disabilities, like their non-disabled counter-parts, must meet all academic and nonacademic criteria for admission, continued enrollment, and graduation from the University.
Documentation Requirements for various disabilities:
Reasonable accommodations for documented disabilities may include:
- Extended time for test-taking
- Alternative testing and classroom accommodations
- Reduced course load (must be approved 3-4 weeks prior to the start of the registration period for the first semester for which the accommodation is requested, and 2 weeks prior to the start of re-registration period for any subsequent semester during which he/she intends to use this accommodation)
- Note-taking services
- Assistive technology
- Liaison between the Academic Resource Center and course instructors
- Liaison between the Residence Life and Student Affairs Staffs
For students with documented disabilities that need to acquire alternative textbooks, please download the Alternative Text Book Order Form.
For specific information contact Barbara Ryan Hausman, Coordinator of Learning and Disability Services, at 610.282.1100, ext. 1453.