Beginning in fthe 2011-2012 academic year, all new full-time employees at DeSales University participate in a Salesian "inculturation." Beyond the processes of onboarding as employees and orientation to their jobs, the inculturation series has as its purpose the integration of all employees into the distinctive culture of the University so as to enable each of them to contribute to the fulfillment of the University's particular mission.
The inculturation series features a full-day retreat at the beginning of the academic year and a series of follow-up sessions with defined cohorts of employees. The objectives are both educational (learning about the Salesian heritage at DSU) and operational (putting Salesian spirituality into practice on the job).
The components of the inculturation retreat include:
- ♦ a welcome by the President of the University
- ♦ a living look at the history of the University over its ► brief timeline
- ♦ an exploration of the spiritual legacy at DSU, with attention to ► "the Salesian lingo"
- ♦ testimonials from award-winning employees
- ♦ a guided tour of the campus, featuring ► "the people of DSU" and ► "the art of the campus"
- ♦ conversations about the strategic plan for the University
- ♦ introductions of the major administrators
► retreat schedule (2012)
The 2013 retreat is scheduled for Thursday, August 22
Five (5) follow-up sessions, held over lunch on the dates listed below, are designed
- ♦ to instruct employees on specific aspects of the Salesian tradition
- ♦ to dialogue with employees about the formulation of their own mission objectives
- ♦ to assist employees with the elements of the annual performance appraisal process
Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:30 p.m. University Center Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:30 p.m. University Center Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:30 p.m. University Center Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:30 p.m. University Center Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:30 p.m. University Center