DeSales to Celebrate International Week, Nov. 8 - 12
The DeSales University community will focus on the world community and celebrate cultural diversity with a variety of activities during International Week from Monday, November 8, through Friday, November 12. Offerings include international foods, music and dance performances, films and games. The event is sponsored by the DeSales University Department of Education Program and student clubs, including Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), Student Government, and International Marketing Class.
To build on the theme of globalization, students will use "DeSales Super Globes," in various activities throughout the week, such as Global Ball on the baseball field of the world, and Bridge Super Globe and Canister Toss. Other activities will feature sidewalk chalking with international phrases, pictures, products and flags.
"Tastes of the World," in the DeSales University Center and Dining Hall, will present different international foods each day of the week, along with musical presentations of the featured country.
Schedule of activities includes:
Monday, November 8
- Taste of the World is Peru with menu selections such as "Arroz Con Gallina," braised chicken with coriander, rice and peas, and deep-fried plantains.
Tuesday, November 9
- From 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., in the University Center, there will be a presentation by "Strictly Latinos!" featuring finger foods, music, culture, and traditions of Latin communities including Puerto Rico, Columbia and Equador.
- Taste of the World is Romania with menu selections such as "Sarmale," stuffed cabbage leaves with sauerkraut, rice and pork, and "Khliab Raiska Ptitsa," Bird of Paradise bread.
- At 9:00 p.m., the Japanese film, "YiYi," will be shown in the Air Products Room of Trexler Library.
Wednesday, November 10
- At 1:00 p.m., Bridge Super Globe drop will be held at the bridge outside of the University Center.
- At 3:00 p.m., Global Ball will take place on the baseball field of the world.
- From 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., a multi-cultural presentation by Arab students with food and musical offerings.
- Taste of the World will feature International Dessert Night with the following:
- Peru - Bananas sautéed in butter with confectioners sugar dusting
- India - "Gajar Halva" - sweet carrot pudding
- Romania - "Satou" - Zabaine-like dessert flavored with sweet wine.
- Ireland - "Irish Christmas Cake" - Vanilla cake studded with raisins, and candied fruit
- At 9:00 p.m., the Swedish film, "Show Me Love," will be shown in the Air Products Room of Trexler Library.
Thursday, November 11
- Taste of the World will feature foods from Ireland, including salmon with Erin sauce, a rice spinach cream sauce, and "Colcannon," a mix of mashed potatoes, cabbage, and scallions, and Irish soda bread with whipped butter, honey, and strawberry jam.
- At 9:00 p.m., the French film, "Breathless," will be shown in the Air Products Room of Trexler Library.
Friday, November 12
- Taste of the World will feature foods from India, including "Murg kari," chicken curry with saffron rice; "Kheera ka Rayta," cucumber and tomato in yogurt sauce, and "Naan," traditional baked flat white bread.
- From 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., "Catholic Canister Toss" at the University Center will feature students throwing the Super Globes into random canisters labeled with the names of different countries. Prizes will be distributed.
- At 3:00 p.m., a presentation on India will be held in the Priscilla Payne Hurd Science Center Auditorium.
- Prizes and give-aways include Kraft Food International products, JustBorn assorted candies, gift certificates to the DeSales University Bookstore and cash drawings.
For more information on International Week at DeSales, contact Dan Blake, '05, political science major from Summit Hill, Pa., and Executive President of Student Government, at 610-282-1100, ext. 7122, or at email@example.com. Also, Vincent Coglianese, '08, political science major from Camp Lejeune, N.C., SIFE member, at 610-282-1100, ext. 4327.
Press Release: DeSales to Celebrate International Week | Posted on: 11/8/2004
For more info:
Tom McNamara, Executive Director of Communications
DeSales University | 2255 Station Avenue | Center Valley, PA 18034
610.282.1100 x1219 | Tom.McNamara@desales.edu