Are there items students usually bring? (remember to coordinate what to bring with roommate)
- Pillows and sheets
- Egg crates or mattress pads
- Desk lamp
- Extension cords
- Stereo or radio (should consult with roommate first)
- A TV and VCR (should consult with roommate first)
- A power strip with fuse
- Flashlight and batteries
- Plastic storage crates and under-the-bed cardboard boxes
- A calling card/phone card to make long-distance calls
- Basic decorating supplies, including pictures, posters and
- Sticky-Tak brand poster putty (students are responsible for any marks left on the walls at the end of the year)
- Basic laundry supplies, including a laundry bag, laundry detergent, an iron, a drying rack, and quarters for the laundry machines (can be stored easily in empty film containers)
- Basic hygiene supplies, including hair dryers, curling irons, Q-tips, contact supplies, razors, etc.
- Basic school supplies, including highlighters, white-out, notebooks, loose-leaf, computer paper, folders, binders, a dictionary and a thesaurus, an erasable message board, a typewriter or computer, etc.
- Basic kitchen supplies, including paper plates, eating utensils, plastic bowls, Tupperware, napkins, dish-washing detergent, and snacks from home.
What do I need to know about computer connections?
All students will be given an e-mail address and will be able to access the Internet through the University's computer network. Room connection to the University system can be made for free directly through the University's RESNET network.
Those who wish to use RESNET and currently have computing systems should be sure their system meets the recommended minimum configuration noted here:
PCs: Pentium 3 500MHz or higher processor; 64MB RAM
Macintoshes: G3 or higher processor; 32MB RAM
Newly purchased systems should be Intel Celeron 2.4GHz or faster, Intel Pentium4 2.8GHz or faster, IMac-G4/1.33 GHz or faster, or AMD Athlon XP 2600 or faster; and should have at least 256MB RAM; with ethernet adapter [10BaseT/100TX] pre-installed if possible. More information on RESNET.
Are there items that are not allowed?
- Pets (except fish in 10 gallon tank or less)
- Candles, incense, or potpourri
- Sun lamps or heaters
- Hot plates, or other items with an exposed coil
- Alcohol and illegal drugs
- Guns or other weapons
Is there staff in the residence halls?
There is a Resident Advisor living on each wing of the residence halls. The RA is an upperclass student living on the floor and ready to assist the residence hall stu dent throughout the year. There is a professional staff member living in the freshmen buildings to support the students as well.
What is provided in the residence hall rooms?
- A standard twin bed and mattress for each student
- A dresser for each student
- A desk and desk chair for each student
- Window blinds
- Air Conditioning and Heating Units
- Cable TV hook-up (cable television access is included)
- Data jack for connection to the residential computer network (RESNET)
- A telephone hook-up with a voice mail (AUDIX) (The cost of local calls is included in your room rate. You will need a credit card or calling card to make long-distance calls.)
What are the amenities in the residence halls?
- Coin operated washers and dryers ($1.00 to wash and 75 cents to dry)
- Snack and soda machines
- A microwave oven in the main lounge of Tocik and Conmy
- A 24-hour security guard system at the front desk of Tocik and Conmy (the other residence halls have 12-hour security guard coverage)
- A member of the housekeeping staff to clean your bathroom and sink area on average every ten days (students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms)