The number of students in the United States, whose English proficiency is limited, has grown by 95% since 1991 according to the U.S. Department of Education's Office of English Language Acquisition. Teachers who hold the ESL Program Specialist Endorsement are consequently in great demand.
The program consists of four three-credit courses:
- ED/ES 507 Teaching Diverse Learners
- *ES 535 Foundations of Second Language Acquisition
- ES 536 Assessing English Language Learners
- ES 595 Linking Language Acquisition and Content
* Must be taken prior to ES 536 and ES 595 courses
Requirements vary for each concentration/certification.