Books - Nonfiction
- American Madness: The Rise and Fall of Dementia Praecox (Cambridge, MA and London, England: Harvard University Press, 2011).
The Encyclopedia of Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders, Third Edition (New York: Facts-on-File, 2006).
The Encyclopedia of Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders, Second Edition (New York: Facts-on-File, 2000).
- The Aryan Christ: The Secret Life of Carl Jung (New York: Random House, 1997; London: Macmillan, 1997).
Russian: Moscow, Russia, and Kiev, Ukraine: Vakler, 1998.
Japanese: Tokyo, Japan: Shinyosha, 1999.
German: Munich, Germany: W. Goldmann Verlag, in preparation.
French: Paris, France: Librarie Plon, 1999.
Czech: Prague, Czech Republic: Nakladatelstvi Triton, 2001.
Spanish: Barcelona: Vergara, 2002.
Buenos Aires: Vergera, 2003 (paperback)
- The Jung Cult: Origins of a Charismatic Movement (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1994; revised paperback editions: London: HarperCollins, 1996; New York: The Free Press, 1997).
Portuguese: Sao Paulo, Brazil: Editora Atica, 1996.
Swedish: Stockholm, Sweden: Ordfront forlag, 1997.
Danish: Copenhaven, Denmark: Dansk psykologisk Forlag, 1998.
Japanese: Tokyo, Japan: Bushosha Publishing Company, 1998.
Italian: Milano, Italy: Arnoldo Mondadori Editore SpA, 1999.
Milano, Italy: Oscar Saggi Mondadori, 2001 (paperback).
Hungarian: Budapest, Hungary: Akademiai Kiado, in preparation.
Chinese: Shanghai, China: Shanghai Translation Publishing House, 2002.
- (with Carol Turkington) The Encyclopedia of Memory and Memory Disorders (New York: Facts-on-File, 1994).
- The Encyclopedia of Schizophrenia and the Psychotic Disorders (New York: Facts-on-File, 1992).
- Vampires, Werewolves and Demons: Twentieth Century Case Reports in the Psychiatric Literature (New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1992).
Russian: Kiev, Ukraine: Pakt, 1999.
- Bizarre Diseases of the Mind (New York: Berkeley, 1990).
- Dementia praecox, 1886: A new turning point? History of Psychiatry, in press
- Sabine Bahn, Richard Noll, Anthony Barnes, Emmanuel Schwarz, Paul C. Guest, Challenges of introducing new biomarker products for neuropsychiatric disorders into the market. International Review of Neurobiology, Volume 97, edited by Adron Harris and Peter Jennere (London: Elsevier, 2012), 301-333.
- Zuoewei yizhong wenhus xianxiang de Xinxiang peiyang: Tan biaoxiang zai samanjiao zhong de zuoyang [Mental imagery cultivation as a cultural phenomenon: The role of visions in shamanism]. In Collection of Overseas Shamanology, edited by Guo Shuyun and Shen Zhanchun (Beijing: Xue Yuan Press, 2010), 95-135. [in Chinese]
- (with Kun Shi) Poslednii shaman orochonov severo-vostochnogo kitaya. [The last shaman of the Oroqen people of Northeast China]. Religiovedenie [Study of Religion] (ISSN 2072-8662. Amur State University, Blagoveschensk, Amur Region, Russia), 2009, 4(no.2): 19-36
- (with Kun Shi) The last shaman of the Oroqen people of Northeast China. Shaman: Journal of the Internation Society for Shamanistic Research (Budapest,Hungary), 2009,17(nos.1-2):95-118
- Introduction: From dementia praecox to schizophrenia. Classic Text 72: "Non-Dementia Non-Praecox: Note on the Advantages to Mental Hygiene of Extripating a Term,"by E.E. Southard (1919). History of Psychiatry, 2007, 18: in press.
- Kraepelin's "lost biological psychiatry?" Autointoxication, organotherapy and surgery for dementia praecox. History of Psychiatry, 2007, 18: 301-319.
- (with Kun Shi). A Solon Ewenki shaman and her Abagaldai Shaman mask. Shaman: Journal of the International Society for Shamanistic Research (Budapest, Hungary), 2007, 15 (nos. 1-2): 37-44.
- Chicago's Dr. Bayard Taylor Holmes: A forgotten pioneer in the history of biological psychiatry. Chicago Medicine, 2006 (Spring), 109:28-32.
- The blood of the insane. History of Psychiatry, 2006, 17:395-418.
- Haeckel, Ernst Heinrich. In Encyclopedia of Modern Europe. Europe 1789 to 1914 -- Encyclopedia of the Age of Industry and Empire, Volume 2, edited by John Merriman and Jay Winter (New York: Thomas Gale, 2006).
- Infectious insanities, surgical solutions: Bayard Taylor Holmes, dementia praecox and laboratory science in early twentieth-century America. Part II. History of Psychiatry, 2006, 17: 299-311.
- Infectious insanities, surgical solutions: Bayard Taylor Holmes, dementia praecox and laboratory science in early twentieth-century America. Part I. History of Psychiatry, 2006, 17: 183-204.
- Carl Gustav Jung. In The Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature, edited by Bron Taylor and Jeffrey Kaplan (London and New York: Continuum International, 2005).
- Ernst Haeckel. In The Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature, edited by Bron Taylor and Jeffrey Kaplan (London and New York: Continuum International, 2005).
- Spirits and Souls. In Mariko Namba Walter and Eva Jane Neumann Fridman (eds.), Shamanism:An Encyclopedia of World Beliefs, Practices and Culture (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2004), pages 235-238.
Visions and Imagery:Western Perspectives. In Mariko Namba Walter and Eva Jane Neumann Fridman (eds.), Shamanism:An Encyclopedia of World Beliefs, Practices and Culture (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2004), pages 267-270.
- Historical Review: Autointoxication and focal infection theories of dementia praecox. World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, 2004, 5:66-72.
- Dementia Praecox Studies [letter to the editor and historical note]. Schizophrenia Research, 2004, 68:103-104.
- The American Reaction to Dementia Praecox, 1900. History of Psychiatry, 2004, 15:127-128.
- Taemna Tserkva: Peredacha Charismatichnogo Avtoritetu [Jung's Secret Church: The Transmission of Charismatic Authority]. Ukrayins'kyi Sotsium: Ukrayins'kyi Sotsium:Sotsiologichni doslidzhennya ta monitoring sotsial'noyi polityky [Ukrainian Society: Sociological Studies and Monitoring for Social Policy] (Kiev, Ukraine), 2002, 1:134-143.
- Shamans, "spirits," and mental imagery. In Shamans Through Time: 500 Years on the Path to Knowledge, edited by Jeremy Narby and Francis Huxley (New York:Tarcher/Putnam, 2001).
- Styles of psychiatric practice, 1906-1925: Clinical evaluations of the same patient by James Jackson Putnam, Adolph Meyer, August Hoch, Emil Kraepelin and Smith Ely Jelliffe. History of Psychiatry , 1999, 10:145-189.
- A Christ named Carl Jung. At Random, 1997 (Fall), No. 18, 56-59.
- Lestat: The vampire as degenerate genius. In The Anne Rice Reader: Writers Explore the Universe of Anne Rice, edited by Katherine Ramsland (New York: Ballantine Books, 1996).
- Kryptomnesi -- det kollektiva omedvetnas skugga [Cryptomnesia: The shadow of the collective unconscious]. Bildterapi (Stockholm, Sweden), 1996, 14 (Nr 1-2):18-21.
- Reply to Anthony Stevens. Times Higher Education Supplement (London), 13 December 1996, letters page.
- Folk fictions [on Jung]. Times Higher Education Supplement (London), 22 November 1996, Perspective essay, p. 16.
- O Cristo ariano [The Aryan Christ]. Jornal do Brasil (Rio de Janiero, Brazil), 30 June 1996.
- Mental imagery cultivation as a cultural phenomenon. In Pecularity of Man as a Biocultural Species. Proceedings of the Symposium of the World Congress of Universalism, Warsaw, August 16-17, 1993), Edited by Alina Wiercinska (Warsaw, Poland: Sorus Press, 1996).
- Controversy over Jung (letter).Chronicle of Higher Education, 15 September 1995, p. B6.
- Letter to the editor. London Review of Books, 20 April 1995, p.4.
- The rose, the cross and the analyst. The New York Times (Op-Ed page), 15 October 1994.
- Max Nordau's Degeneration, C.G. Jung's taint. Spring: A Journal of Archetype and Culture, 1994, 55: 67-79.
- Multiple personality and the complex theory: A correction. Journal of Analytical Psychology, 1993, 38: 321-323.
- The clash of worldviews and the hubris of psychiatry (commentary). Dissociation, 1993, 6:250-253.
- Jung the Leontocephalus. Spring: A Journal of Archetype and Culture, 1992, 53: 12-60.
- Comment on "Individuation and Shamanism." Journal of Analytical Psychology, 1990, 35:213-217.
- What has really been learned about shamanism? Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 1989, 21: 47-50.
- Multiple personality, dissociation, and C.G. Jung's complex theory. Journal of Analytical Psychology, 1989, 34: 353-370.
- C.G. Jung and J.B. Rhine: Two complementary approaches to the phenomenology of the paranormal. In Parapsychology and Human Nature: Proceedings of An International Conference Held in Washington, D.C., November 1-2, 1986, edited by Betty Shapin and Lisette Coly (New York: Parapsychology Foundation, 1989).
- The presence of spirits in magic and madness. In Shamanism: An Expanded View of Reality, edited by Shirley Nicholson (Wheaton, IL: The Theosophical Publishing House, 1987).
- Mental imagery cultivation as a cultural phenomenon: The role of visions in shamanism. Current Anthropology, 1985, 26: 443-461.
- Shamanism and schizophrenia: A state-specific approach to the "schizophrenia- metaphor" of shamanic states. American Ethnologist, 1983, 10: 443-459.
Invited Lectures and Conference Presentations
- "Disease Entity or Culture-Bound Syndrome? The Troubled History of DSM-IV's Major Depressive Disorder since 1980." Keynote addressed delivered at the international conference "Building Bridges for Welness through Counseling and Psychotherapy," Sampurna Montfort College, Bangalore, INDIA, 11 January 2008.
- "Shamanism among the Tungus of Northeast China." Presentation delivered to the students and faculty of Sampurna Montfort College, Bangalore, INDIA, 7 January 2008.
- "From Dementia Praecox to Schizophrenia." Keynote address delivered to the 10th Biennial Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine, "Medicine in Context," Australian National University, Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 4 July 2007.
"Bayard Taylor Holmes, Dementia Praecox and Chicago Medicine During the First World War." Paper to be presented to the Society for Medical History and the Humanities of Chicago, the Hektoen Institute of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, 6 February 2007.
"From Dementia Praecox to Schizophrenia." Seminar presentation to be delivered in the NIMH-sponsored Rutgers Postdoctoral Program in Mental Health Systems Research, The Institute of Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 3 October 2006.
"Spirits, Souls Bodies: The Social Construction of the Shaman in S.I.
Shirokogoroff's The Psychomental Complex of the Tungus." Paper presented at the International Society for Theoretical Psychology Conference, Breakwater Lodge and the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business, Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA, 22 June 2005.
"The Blood of the Insane." Invited lecture delivered to the Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, Valkenberg Hospital, Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA, 21 June 2005.
- "Jung and the Hellenistic Mystery Cults." Paper presented at the Conference on Lacan and Psychoanalysis, sponsored by the Korean Academy for Lacanian and Contemporary Psychoanalysis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, REPUBLIC OF KOREA, 29 May 2004.
- "Jung, Whitehead, and the Vitalistic Zeitgeist." Paper presented at the 5th International Whitehead Conference: International Conference on Whitehead's Thought and East Asian Culture. Sogang University, Seoul, REPUBLIC OF KOREA, 28 May 2004.
- "Tungus Shamanism of Northeast China: Psychological and Psychiatric Perspectives." Paper presented at the Institute for Religion, Sogang University, Seoul, REPUBLIC OF KOREA, 27 May 2004.
- "Jung, the Aryan Christ." Lecture delivered to the Korean Academy for Lacanian and Contemporary Psychoanalysis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, REPUBLIC OF KOREA.
- "The Jung Cult: Ten Years Later." Public lecture to promote the Japanese translation of The Jung Cult, arranged by the Bushosha Publishing Company, Tokyo, JAPAN, 18 May 2004.
- "A Blood Test for Madness? Serology, Psychiatry and Dementia Praecox, 1912-1917." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for the History of Medicine, Madison, Wisconsin, 1 May 2004.
- "Focal Infection: Theories of Dementia Praecox and Their Rational Treatments in Early Twentieth Century Psychiatry." Paper presented at the conference on Anglo-American Medical Relations: Historical Insights. The Wellcome Trust Centre For the History of Medicine at University College London, UNITED KINGDOM, 20 June 2003.
- "Mad Blood, Bad Blood: Psychiatry`s `Blood Crisis` in the Early Twentieth Century." Keynote address presented at the international workshop "Blut schreiben," hosted by Forschungsgruppe "Das Leben schreiben - Medientechnologie und die Wissenschaften vom Leben (1800-1900)" of the Bauhaus-University of Weimar, GERMANY, 23 November 2002. This public lecture was held at the Kirms-Krakow-Haus, the oldest building in Weimar.
- "C. G. Jung: New Historical Perspectives." Department of Psychology, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA, 22 October 2000.
- "Jung's Biological Assumptions: Vitalism, Organic Memory, Non-Darwinian Evolution. Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, FINLAND, 18 February 1999.
- "Jung: New Historical Perspectives." Department of Cognitive Science, New Bulgarian University, Sofia, BULGARIA, 21 July 1998.
- "Charismatic Religious and Political Groups in Pre-Fascist and Post- Communist Societies." Summer school course, Kiev-Mohyla Academy, Kiev, UKRAINE, 13-18 July 1998.
- "The Jung Cult." ABF-huset, Stockholm, SWEDEN, 21 April 1997.
- "The Jung Cult." Institute for Analytical Psychology, Stockholm, SWEDEN, 19 April 1997.
- "Cryptomnesia, Implicit Memory, and the Collective Unconscious: Jung, Jungians and the Problem of Truth." Boston Colloquium for the Philosophy of Science, conference on Dreams as Reason," 6 February 1997, Boston University.
- "The Fate of the Homunculus: The Artificial Human from the Middle Ages to Modernity (chair and commentator), History of Science Society Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 9 November 1996.
- "Jung: New Historical Perspectives," Psychology Department, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA, 20 September 1996.
- "Jung, Jungians and the Problem of Truth," Colloquium on the History of Psychiatry and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 18 September 1996.
- "The Jung Cult (debate)," Rio de Janiero, BRAZIL, 13 August 1996.
- "The Jung Cult (debate)," Sao Paulo, BRAZIL, 15 August 1996.
- "Giordano Bruno and Ernst Haeckel's Scientific Religion," Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 19 March 1996.
- "Jung: New Historical Perspectives (3 lectures)," Institute for Analytical Psychology, Stockholm, SWEDEN, 22-23 October 1995.
- "Ernst Haeckel and the Two Cultures," Science and Humanities Work Group, Science and Technology Studies Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 14 September 1995.
- "C.G. Jung and Fin-de-Siecle German Science: Jung's Fusion of Haeckelian Evolutionary Biology, Comparative Philology, and Volkish Racialism," Colloquium delivered to the Department of the History of Science, Harvard University, 21 March 1995.
- "C.G. Jung: New Historical Perspectives," History of Science Colloquia Program, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, 14 March 1995.
- "Cognitive Science and the Shamans," invited lecture delivered to the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, 15 June 1994.
- "C.G. Jung: New Historical Perspectives," History of Psychiatry Section, New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, 9 March 1994.
- "Shamanism: New Perspectives from Cognitive Science," Department of Ethnology, Eotovos Lorand University, Budapest, HUNGARY, 21 October 1991.
- "Shamanism: New Perspectives from Cognitive Science," invited lecture delivered at the Ethnographic Institut e of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA), Budapest, HUNGARY, 15 October 1991.
- "Mental Imagery Cultivation Techniques and Dissociation in Shamanism," Jagiellonian University, Krakow, POLAND, 10 October 1991.
- "Multiple Personality , Dissociation and Shamanism," Pedagogical University, Kielce, POLAND, 8 October 1991.
- "Multiple Personality, Dissociation and Shamanism: A Cognitive Science Perspective," invited lecture delivered to the Interdisciplinary Research Group on the Peculiarity of Man (IRGPM) of Warsaw University and the State Museum of Archeology, at the Royal Castle, Warsaw, POLAND, 5 October 1991.
- "Shamanism," Department of Historical Anthropology, Warsaw University, Warsaw, POLAND, 4 October 1991.
- "Schizophrenia: New Perspectives," training seminar presented to the psychology interns and clinical staff of the Department of Human Services of the State of New Jersey, Lawrenceville, NJ, March 1991.
- "Ritual Abuse: Alternative Hypotheses Derived from Recent Memory Research and from History," Seventh International Conference on Multiple Personality and Dissociative States, Chicago, Illinois, November 1990.
- "C.G. Jung and J.B. Rhine: Two Complementary Approaches tothe Phenomenology of the Paranormal." Papaer presented at the international conference "Parapsychology and Human Nature" sponsored by the Parapsychology Foundation, Washington, D.C., 1 November 1986.
- "The Role of Mental Imagery Enhancement Training in Shamanism," 84th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Washington, D.C., December 1985.
- "Mental Imagery Cultivation as a Cultural Phenomenon," International Conference on Recent Developments in Research on Shamanism, Esalen Institute, Big Sur, California, February 1984.