Students majoring in Theology have the opportunity to spend a semester studying in Rome (Italy) during their junior year, at the same cost as a term at DeSales.
Catholic higher education necessarily places strong emphasis on the role of divine revelation in human life. In the tradition of Christian Humanism, the study of Theology is integral to self-comprehension, for we discover our existential fulfillment only when we learn to be "beings-in-love" with God.
The Theology program at DSU is designed to enable students to appreciate the divine calling of every human being to a life of love. Beginning with human experience, Theology addresses the ultimate concerns of our existence. It searches for understanding by way of systematic reflection upon the data of revelation. It leads to the practice of a meaningful life consistent with an intelligible faith.
To be graduated with a B.A. degree in Theology, a student must complete a 13-course program, designed with the approval of the Theology advisor, which includes one introductory course (TH 109), ten intermediate courses (200- and 300-level), and two advanced courses (400-level).
Seven CORE Courses:
- TH 109 - Introduction to Catholic Theology
- TH 234 - The Old Testament
- TH 232 - As Jesus Speaks (the New Testament)
- TH 211 - Rites to Life
- TH 350 - The Church * new course *
- TH 362 - Jesus Christ
- TH 380 - Christian Apologetics * new course *
Four Controlled ELECTIVES:
- one (1) course in Moral / Pastoral Theology, chosen from among the following:
- TH 260 - Marriage and the Family
- TH 261 - Sexual Ethics
- TH 262 - Medicine and Morality
- TH 364 - Evangelization and the Family
- TH 387 - The Meaning of Death & Dying
- one (1) course in Philosophy, chosen from among the following:
- PL 225 - Logic & Argument
- PL 245 - The Philosophy of Human Nature
- PL 345 - The Confessions of St. Augustine
- PL 360 - The Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas
- PL 380 - The Philosophy of God
- PL 400 - Epistemology: The Human Knower
- PL 410 - Metaphysics: The Search for Synthesis
- two (2) additional courses in Theology, chosen from among all those offered at the intermediate level (i.e., 200- or 300-level TH courses)
Two ADVANCED courses in Theology:
- TH 451 - Theology Integrating Seminar
- TH 492 (Internship) or TH 499 (Independent Study) in Theology