Listed below are the publications and presentations of the faculty members in our department for the academic year. These contributions reflect the faculty's commitment to professional growth and development, as well as the desire to share with others the results of our individual and collective work. It is hoped that this service to the academic community will further the mission of DeSales University to provide a Catholic education in the tradition of Christian Humanism
Larry Chapp, Ph.D. Assistant Professor - Systematic Theology)
- "A Critical Overview of the Encyclical" -- a public lecture as part of a forum on Veritatis Splendor, sponsored by the Lehigh Valley Conference of Churches at the First Mennonite Church of Allentown (PA) on September 6, 1995.
- Participant in a conference on "Science and Religion," sponsored by the Templeton Foundation, held at St. Anne's College (Oxford, England), January 5-11, 1996; recipient of $10,000 grant award from the Templeton Foundation for course development.
- "Why Johnny Can't Pray: American Religious Dualism and the Separation of Church and State" - a paper delivered at the annual meeting of the College Theology Society, University of Dayton (OH), June 1996.
Rev. Thomas F. Dailey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Dept. Chair / Asst. Professor - Biblical Theology)
- "In Loco Docentis: Service-Learning at Allentown College" (co-authored with Dr. Mohammed Latib) -- published in Service-Learning: Linking Academics and the Community (PA Campus Compact, 1995), pages 207-212.
- "From Sage to Saint: Wisdom on the Way to Devotion" -- a series of retreat conferences given to the Fraternity of St. Francis de Sales in Virginia, September 15-17, 1995.
- Participant in the 18th annual convention of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars (on "The Nature of Catholic Higher Education"), held in Minneapolis (MN), September 22-24, 1995.
- Presented the theological approach for "Three Paths of Wisdom" -- a Psychology Colloquium at Bloomsburg University (PA) on October 6, 1995.
- "The Wisdom of Job: Moral Maturity or Religious Reckoning?" -- a paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, held in Philadelphia (PA), November 18-21, 1995.
- "Gaudium de veritate: The Vision and Values of Catholic Higher Education" -- a faculty colloquium at Muhlenberg College (Allentown), 2 April 1996.
Brian M. Kane, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Moral Theology)
- "The Personalism of John Paul II" -- a public lecture as part of the forum on Veritatis Splendor, sponsored by the Lehigh Valley Conference of Churches at the First Mennonite Church of Allentown (PA) on September 6, 1995.
- "John XXIII and Just Cause for Modern War" -- forthcoming in New Blackfriars.
- "Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi: Sexual Pleasure and the Sacramentality of Marriage" - a paper to be delivered at the annual meeting of the College Theology Society, University of Dayton (OH), June 1996.
Gregory Kerr, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Classical Philosophy)
- "The Elements of Discord: The Sine Qua Non of Education" -- a paper presented at the meeting of the American Maritain Association in Charleston (SC) in November 1995.
- "Christ, the Form of Beauty (Francesca Murphy)" -- a book review published in the April 1996 issue of Crisis.
- Editor of the Maritain Newsletter - the official newsletter of the American Maritain Association.
Michael Latzer, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Classical Philosophy)
- "My God Is Not Cruel: The Theodicy of Harold S. Kushner" - to be published in Encounter, volume 57/2 (1996).
Rev. John F. Harvey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Lecturer - Moral Theology)
- "The Cry of the Faithful Seeking the Truth" -- published in Catholic Dossier, vol. 1 (1996), pp. 6-14.
- "Homosexuality and the Challenge to Change" -- a series of presentations at the Human Life International Conference, in Montreal (Canada), April 21-22, 1995.
- Review article on The Way of the Lord Jesus: Living a Christian Life (by Germain Grisez) -- published in Homiletic and Pastoral Review (April 1995), pages 72-77.
Rev. Alexander T. Pocetto, O.S.F.S., Ph.D. (Senior Vice-President / Professor - Spirituality)
- Participant in the 13th annual Conference on Salesian Spirituality, held in Adrian (MI) in August 1995.
- Created the inaugural edition of the "Salesian Home Page" on the World Wide Web of the Internet.
Kristine Neumayer (Class of 1996)
- Recipient of the first annual Albert Clark Prize awarded by the National Board of Directors of Theta Alpha Kappa for the best undergraduate paper in religious studies or theology; the paper -- "Quality Profits: The Role of Theology in Business" -- is published in the Spring 1996 issue of the Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa.