Listed below are the publications and presentations of the faculty members in our department for the academic year. These contributions reflect the faculty's commitment to professional growth and development, as well as the desire to share with others the results of our individual and collective work. It is hoped that this service to the academic community will further the mission of DeSales University to provide a Catholic education in the tradition of Christian Humanism.
Larry Chapp, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Systematic Theology)
- Featured guest on "Mother Angelica Live" program on EWTN (Sept. 24, 1997), speaking on the topic of Science & Religion.
- Hosted "science & religion" lectures on-campus, under the sponsorship of the American Scientific Affiliation and the Templeton Foundation:
- Dr. Michael Behe - on Darwin's Black Box
- Dr. John Haught - on Theology in a Neo-Darwinian Context
- Dr. Malcolm Jeeves - on Neuroscience and the Soul
- "The 'New Evangelization' of John Paul II on the Eve of the Millenium" - a paper presented to the Lehigh Valley Council of Churches at the First Mennonite Church of Allentown (March 17, 1998).
- "The Historical Jesus and the Christ of Faith" - a Lenten lecture given at Assumption BVM parish in Colesville, PA (March 24, 1998)
- "The Catholic Church and the Mass Media" - a presentation to the Serra Club of Reading, PA (March 25, 1998).
- Received a grant from the Our Sunday Visitor Institute to develop a national conference on the theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar.
Rev. Thomas F. Dailey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Dept. Chair / Assoc. Professor - Biblical Theology)
- "The Canticle of Canticles: Sacred Music for the Modern Priest" -- eleven lectures given in the National Institute for Clergy Formation, Seton Hall University (NJ) in June 1997.
- "The Wisdom of Job: Moral Maturity or Religious Reckoning?" - published in the Union Seminary Quarterly Review, volume 51:1-2 (1997), pp. 45-56.
- Three presentations to parents in the Sacramental Preparation program at St. Thomas More parish (Allentown, PA) - on Reconciliation (10/14/97), on Confirmation (12/11/97), and on Eucharist (2/17/98)
- Praying with Francis de Sales -- published in the "Companions for the Journey" series from St. Mary's Press (MN).
- Bibliographies for Biblical Research - JOB, published by the Edwin Mellen Press
- "A Saint for All Women" - presentation to women's organization at St. Jane Frances de Chantal parish (Easton, PA) on October 19, 1997
- "Salesian Educational Psychology" - presentation to the faculty at Fr. Judge High School (Philadelphia, PA) on January 22, 1998.
- Named Executive Secretary of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars at its national convention in Washington, DC on September 20, 1997.
Brian M. Kane, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Moral Theology)
- "Catholic Ethics at the End of Life" - keynote address to the Vicariate for Health Affairs annual convocation (diocese of Camden, NJ) on 10/1/97.
- "The Ethics of 'Cure' in Physician Assisted Suicide" - a presentation to the Missouri Valley Association of Catholic Professors of Theology, at Kendrick Glennon Seminary (St. Louis, MO), on November 14, 1997.
- "Applying Catholic Medical Moral Principles in the Nineties" and "Revising the Slippery Slope: The Catholic Approach to Combating Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide" - two presentations at a conference on End of Life Issues Pastoral Implications for the 90's, sponsored by the Medical Morals Committee (diocese of Camden, NJ) on November 20, 1997.
- Appointed to the Institutional Review Board and working on the Institutional Ethics Board at Lehigh Valley Hospital (Allentown, PA).
Gregory Kerr, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - History of Philosophy)
- "Art's Invaluable Uselessness" - a paper presented at the American Maritain Association annual convention (Boston, MA) on October 25, 1997.
- Editor of the Maritain Notebook - the official newsletter of the American Maritain Association.
- "The Elements of Discord: The Sine Qua Non of Education" - published in Common Things: Essays on the Thomistic Philosophy of Education (Catholic University of America Press, 1988).
Rev. John F. Harvey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Lecturer - Moral Theology)
- Featured guest on "Mother Angelica Live" program on EWTN (October 8, 1997).
- Visiting professor at Seton Hall University.
Carmina Magnusen, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Sacramental Theology)
- Hosted the dinner meeting for the Eastern Pennsylvania region of the College Theology Society (Oct. 3, 1997).
- "Advent/Lent/First Communion/First Penance" - workshop presentations for the Allentown (diocese) Coordinators & Directors of Religious Education, in Kutztown, PA (Nov. 4, 1997).
- "Sons & Daughters of the Light: A Pastoral Plan for Ministry with Young Adults" - the Parish Evangelization Workshop Series (PEWS) at Allentown College (Nov. 8, 1997).
William Urbine, D.Min. (Adjunct - Pastoral Theology)
- Served on the Ethics Committee at Sacred Heart Hospital (Allentown, PA)
- "Preparing Engaged Couples for Christian Marriage: The Data, Theology, Pastoral Challenges" -- Berks County Council of Churches (April 23, 1978)