Listed below are the publications and presentations of the faculty members in our department for the academic year. These contributions reflect the faculty's commitment to professional growth and development, as well as the desire to share with others the results of our individual and collective work. It is hoped that this service to the academic community will further the mission of DeSales University to provide a Catholic education in the tradition of Christian Humanism.
Larry Chapp, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - Systematic Theology)
- Participant in the Fides et Ratio seminar on God Without Being by Jean-Luc Marion, held in Washington (DC) in September
- "The Theological Relevance of the Saints in the Catholic Tradition" -- presentation at the First Mennonite Church of Allentown (PA) on December 5, 2000.
- "The Theological Foundation of Love and Forgiveness in the Sacrament of Marriage" -- workshop presentation for the Pre-Cana program, held at Mary Immaculate Center in Northampton (PA), February 12, 2001.
- Book reviews accepted for publication:
- on Richard Viladesau's Theological Aesthetics, published in Modern Theology 17/1 (Jan 2001), pp. 111-112.
- on Alice Gallin's Negotiating Identity, to be published in The Thomist
- on Aidan Nichols' No Bloodless Myth, to be published in Theological Studies
- Received a grant from the Our Sunday Visitor Institute to direct a national conference on "Hans Urs von Balthasar and the Evangelization of Culture: Alternative Approaches" on April 27-29, 2001
- "Theology and Sanctity in the Biblical Exegesis of Balthasar" -- a paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the College Theology Society, in Portland (OR), June 2001.
- Named by Bishop Edward Cullen to be a participant in the Consultation on the Proposed Framework for the National Directory for Catechesis
- Named editor-in-chief of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly
- "The Exegesis of Scripture in Hans Urs von Balthasar" -- accepted for publication in the Josephinum Journal of Theology (Winter 2001)
- Contracted to write the "Theology of Revelation" article for The Cambridge Companion to Hans Urs von Balthasar (to be published in Fall 2002)
Rev. Thomas F. Dailey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Dept. Chair/Associate Professor-Biblical Theology)
- "St. Jane de Chantal and the Culture of Sanctity" -- conference to the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Maryin Philadelphia (PA) on August 18, 2000.
- "The Spirituality of St. Francis de Sales" -- presentation to the Serra Club of Bethlehem (PA) on August 22, 2000.
- "The Fellowship of Catholic Scholars: History and Purpose" -- presentation at a conference entitled The Land of the Holy Spirit in the Third Christian Millennium, in Melbourne (Australia) on October 7, 2000.
- "On the Jubilee of Religious Life" -- series of retreat conferences for the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Maryin Tyringham (MA) on November 18-21, 2000.
- "Healthcare and Holiness: Toward a Culture of Caring" -- an Advent retreat for the Parish Nursing and Spiritual Care programs at St. Mary Medical Center (Langhorne, PA) on December 6, 2000.
- "What's in a Name? Institutional Identity at DeSales University" -- a > professional development workshop for adjunct faculty in the T.A.L.E. series at DeSales University on February 3, 2001.
- "The Mandatum: A Declaration of Interdependence" -- forthcoming in the >Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly.
- Editor of With Mind & Heart Renewed: Essays on Moral and Pastoral Theology in Honor of Rev. John F. Harvey, OSFS. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2001.
- Appointed by Bishop Edward Cullen to serve on the Parenting and Sexuality Education Committee of the diocese of Allentown (PA).
Rodney Howsare, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Systematic Theology)
- "On 'Justification by Faith'" - presentation at the Bishop's ecumenical breakfast on September 6, 2000
- "On the Joint Declaration on Justification" -- presentation to the Lutheran pastors of the Allentown (PA) Synod, on September 21, 2000.
- "Luigi Giussani and the American Undergraduate" -- paper presented at the regional conference on Luigi Giussani, at Marquette University on November 14, 2000
- Moderator for "The Church as Seat of Wisdom" conference in Milwaukee, February 16-18, 2001.
- "The Eucharist as Sacrifice: A Marian Dimension?" -- accepted for publication in the Josephinum Journal of Theology (Winter 2001)
Brian Kane, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - Moral Theology)
- "Marriage as a Sacrament" -- presentation at Assumption BVM parish (Colesville, PA) on January 17, 2001.
- Essays syndicated by the National Catholic News Service:
- "Culture Leaves the Community Out" (>published in the Catholic Standard & Times)
- "The Millionaire Marriage" (published in The Morning Call)
- "The Ethics of Separating Ischiopagus Conjoined Twins" - a paper presented at the Missouri Valley Association of Catholic Professors of Theology, in St. Louis (MO), on November 17, 2000.
- Appointed by Bishop Edward Cullen to serve on the Advisory Board of the Office of Family Life Ministries in the diocese of Allentown
- Continues to serve on the Institutional Review Board of the Lehigh Valley Hospital Center
Gregory Kerr, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - History of Philosophy)
- "In Our Knowings, God" -- a paper presentation for the annual meeting of the American Maritain Association at the University of Notre Dame on October 19, 2000.
- "On a Spiritual Note" -- a series of commentaries published in On the Boards, the Playbill for the ACT ONE theatre productions in 2000-2001 at DeSales University.
- "Knowing Our Knowings" -- to be published in The Many Ways of Knowing (forthcoming from the Catholic University of America Press).
- "Report on the Annual International Meeting of the American Maritain Association," in Vera Lex, the Journal of the International Natural Law Society, vol. 1/1-2 (new series), Winter 2000.
- Continues to serve as editor of Newsletter of the American Maritain Association
Stephen Loughlin, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Medieval Philosophy)
- "The Complexity of Timor in Aquinas's Summa Theologiae" -- to be published in the proceedings of the Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- "Similarities and Differences between Human and Animal Emotion in Aquinas's Thought" -- in The Thomist 65/1 (January 2001), pp. 45-65.
John Pappas, M.A. (Instructor - Philosophy)
- "An Interpretation of the Historical Background for an Understanding of Rene Descartes' Meditations" -- lecture to the Cadet Philosophical Society at the United States Military Academy in West Point (NY) on May 8, 2000.
- Invited speaker for a Liberty Fund colloquium on "Legislation and Liberty in Plato's Statesman," to be held in Chicago (IL) on November 8-11.
Rev. Alexander T. Pocetto, O.S.F.S., Ph.D. (Professor - Spiritual Theology)
- "The Spiritual Directory in the American Oblate Tradition" -- a paper delivered in a seminar on "Salesian Spirituality in English-Speaking Cultures" at the De Sales Resource Center in Stella Niagara (NY)
- "Salesian Spirituality: A Mini-Retreat" presented to the catechists of Sacred Heart parish in Lewisburg (PA) on January 21, 2001.
- Spiritual Conferences:
- an in-service day to faculty of the Visitation Academy in Frederick (MD)
- a parish mission at St. Margaret's parish in Pearl River (NY)
- "Emotions in Salesian Spirituality" - at Sacred Heart parish in Lewisburg (PA)
- Administrative positions:
- appointed Regional Director of the De Sales Spirituality Center for the Philadelphia and Allentown area
- re-appointed as President of the International Commission on Salesian Studies (ICSS)
- editor and publisher of the ICSS Newsletters
William Urbine, D.Min. (Adjunct Instructor - Pastoral Theology)
- Named as Director of the Office of Family Life Ministries, in the Secretariat for Catholic Life and Evangelization of the diocese of Allentown
- Appointed a member of the Doctrine Committee of the diocese of Allentown
- Gave a workshop presentation on "forgiveness" at the October 2000 Catechetical Conference for the diocese of Allentown
- Gave retreat talks for Catholic educators of the diocese of Allentown on November 8, 2000 and March 28, 2001.
- Featured speaker for the Winter Graduation ceremonies at DeSales University on January 21, 2001.
- Guest on "Focus on Faith," on Service Electric Cable Television, December 4, 2000 and February 26, 2001.
Nancy O'Keefe - BA, Philosophy (2000) and administrative assistant to the President at DeSales University - has published a review of Edith Stein's Knowledge and Faith in The Maritain Notebook, the newsletter of the American Maritain Association, vol. 8 / no. 2 (Fall 2000), p. 5.