Listed below are the publications and presentations of the faculty members in our department for the academic year. These contributions reflect the faculty's commitment to professional growth and development, as well as the desire to share with others the results of our individual and collective work. It is hoped that this service to the academic community will further the mission of DeSales University to provide a Catholic education in the tradition of Christian Humanism.
Larry Chapp, Ph.D. (Department Chair / Associate Professor - Systematic Theology)
- Continues to serve as editor of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly
- Book review of Alice Gallin's Negotiating Identity published in The Thomist (Fall 2001)
- Public response to Raymond Gawronski, SJ, "The Beautry of the Cross: The Theological Aesthetics of Hans Urs von Balthasar" -- given at the annual convention of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars, in Omaha (NE), on September 28, 2001
- Published response to Rodney Howsare, "The Eucharist as Sacrifice: A Marian Dimension" -- forthcoming in the Josephinum Journal of Theology
- "Roots of sex-abuse crisis go deep into society's ethos" -- op-ed publication in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (April 1, 2002).
- "Traditional Catholicism Does Not Cause Sex Abuse," in the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly, 25/1 (Winter 2002).
- Television appearances on The O'Reilly Factor (2/12/02, 3/26/02, 4/25/02)
- "The Role of Scripture in Prayer" -- a series of three lectures presented at the Spiritual Evangelization Academy workshop in Bethlehem (PA) on June 26-27, 2002.
Rev. Thomas F. Dailey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D. (Professor - Biblical Theology)
- Book review of Characters in Search of Their Author [The Gifford Lectures, Glasgow 1999-2000], by Ralph McInerny, published in the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly, 24/3 (Summer 2001): 28-31.
- "To Live and Learn, It Helps to Hope" -- published in the Indian Journal of Spirituality vol. 14/3 (July-September 2002): 255-262.
- Elected President of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars on September 28, 2001.
- Hosted "Terrorism in America! Issues & Answers on Campus" -- a special forum discussion held at DeSales University (PA) on October 3, 2001.
- "Devotion Is More Than Commitment" -- a conference to the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary in Tyringham (MA) on October 7, 2001.
- Evaluator for the 2001 Fall Festival of Special Olympics of Pennsylvania at Villanova University (PA) on November 2-3, 2001.
- Keynote speaker for "Building Bridges with Our Eyes Wide Open" -- cultural diversity week program at Northwestern Lehigh High School (PA) on November 15, 2001.
- "The Little Virtues in Contemplative Life" -- a series of retreat conferences for the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary in Philadelphia (PA) on November 18-21, 2001.
- "Metaphorical Wisdom: A Ricoeurian Reading of Job's Repentance" -- published in EXISTENTIA: An International Journal of Philosophy, 11/3-4 (2001): 427-435.
- "The Breath of (Religious) Life" -- presentation to the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament (Bensalem, PA) on January 10, 2002.
- "John Paul II and the Challenge of Evil in the World" -- presentation at The C.S. Lewis Foundation faculty forum Spring conference at California Polytechnic University (Pomona, CA) on February 2, 2002.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2001-2002 edition of America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals
- "Leonie Aviat: A New Saint for a New Age" -- presentation to the Serra Club of Bethlehem (PA), on February 26, 2002.
- "Faith & Culture in a Salesian Perspective" -- presentation to the Serra Club of Allentown (PA) on April 3, 2002.
- Appointed to the editorial board of the Indian Journal of Spirituality (March 2002).
- "Believing in Baseball! The Religious Character of Our National Pastime" -- presentation for the 14th annual Cooperstown Symposium on Baseball and American Culture, at the National Baseball Hall of Fame (Cooperstown, NY) on June 5-7, 2002
- "Dads play important role in fostering young people's interest in baseball" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (7/23/01)
- "Labor Day is about being human, not just economic production" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (9/3/01)
- "The World of Evil Hits Home" (9/18/01) -- published in the Catholic Standard & Times (Philadelphia, PA), the News Gleaner (Philadelphia, PA), and The Dialog (Wilmington, DE); edited version broadcast on WDIY-FM, the Community Public Radio station in the Lehigh Valley, PA
- "In a time of conflict, keep bricks of democracy together by voting" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (11/5/01)
- "Debate about human cloning must consider importance of the soul" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (12/17/01)
- "Ashes a reminder of divine source of our spirit" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (2/13/02)
- "Civility seems to have taken a break!" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (3/19/02)
- "Society needs to rediscover mom's cultural value" - published in The Morning Call, the newspaper of the Lehigh Valley, PA (5/12/02)
Commentaries ("On a Spiritual Note") published in On The Boards, the playbill for the ACT ONE theatre program at DeSales University:
- Brighton Beach Memoirs (9/26 - 10/7/01)
- ACT ONE Christmas Festival (11/28 - 12/9/01)
- The Grapes of Wrath (2/20 - 3/3/02)
- Spring Dance Ensemble (3/15-17/02)
- Carousel (4/24 - 5/5/02)
Presidential essays published in the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly
- "The Power of the Pen!" (Fall 2001)
- "Revisiting the Sins of the Fathers" (Winter 2002)
Rodney Howsare, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Systematic Theology)
- "The Eucharist as Sacrifice: A Marian Dimension" -- accepted for publication in the Josephinum Journal of Theology
- "A Trojan Horse in the Catholic Church: Balthasar's Reading of Barth" -- accepted for publication in Fides Quarens Intellectum: A Journal of Theology, Philosophy & History
- "Time and Eternity: Myth Become Fact in C.S. Lewis" - forthcoming presentation at the Oxbridge 2002 Conference, at Oxford University (England), July 14-20, 2002.
Brian Kane, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - Moral Theology) [on sabbatical leave, Fall 2001]
- "The Spirituality of Vacations" -- syndicated by the National Catholic News Service (August 2001) and published in The Globe (Sioux City, IA) and The Tidings (Los Angeles, CA).
- Panelist for "Stem Cell Research: A Lehigh Valley Roundtable" held at DeSales University (PA) on October 29, 2001.
- "Has Modern Weaponry Made Just War Impossible?" -- an op-ed piece (November 2001) published in the Tablet (Brooklyn, NY), the Catholic Commentator (Baton Rouge, LA), and the Catholic Spirit (Kendall Park, NJ).
- "The Meaning of Patriotism" -- an op-ed piece in Faith Alive! (January 2002).
- "Faith and Knowledge" -- a presentation to the honors assembly at St. Michael the Archangel School (Colesville, PA) on January 29, 2002.
Gregory Kerr, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - History of Philosophy)
- "The Sine Qua Non of Love" -- paper presented at the national meeting of the American Maritain Association, in Boca Raton (FL), on October 17-22, 2001
Stephen Loughlin, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Medieval Philosophy)
- Continues to serve as coordinator of The Aquinas Translation Project
- Named associate editor for Catholicae Veritatis, an annual journal centered on contemporary Thomistic philosophy and theology.
- Review of Peter Goldie, The Emotions: A Philosophical Experience -- forthcoming in Review of Metaphysics (Spring 2002).
- "The Complexity and Importance of timor in Aquinas' Summa Theologiae" - published in Fear and Its Representations [Arizona Studies in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, volume 6]
Rev. Alexander T. Pocetto, O.S.F.S., Ph.D. (Adjunct Professor - Spiritual Theology)
- Received 2nd place in the Catholic Press Association Awards Contest for his opinion article entitled "Religion and Politics Do Mix," which was published in The AD Times on October 12, 2000.
- Participant ("Jean-Pierre Camus as Disseminator of the Salesian Spirit") in the Salesian Scholars Seminar, held at the De Sales Resource Center in Stella Niagara (NY) on October 18-20, 2001.
- "The Courage to Be Human: Be Somebody, Be Yourself" -- parish mission given in Laurel (MD) and Brewester (NY) in 2002