Listed below are the publications and presentations of the faculty members in our department for the academic year. These contributions reflect the faculty's commitment to professional growth and development, as well as the desire to share with others the results of our individual and collective work. It is hoped that this service to the academic community will further the mission of DeSales University to provide a Catholic education in the tradition of Christian Humanism.
by Larry Chapp, Ph.D.
Serves on the Theological Committee for the 2006 Synod of the Diocese of Allentown
Hosts the Lehigh Valley Communio Circle
- "Alan Padgett's Mutuality Model for Science and Religion Dialogue" -- published in Pro Ecclesia: A Journal of Catholic & Evangelical Theology
- "Reconciling Church and State" -- presentation to the Lehigh Valley chapter of Legatus (Allentown, PA) on May 3, 2006.
- "The Theology of Nature and Grace in Hans Urs von Balthasar and Its Implications for the Ontological Materialism of Daniel Dennett -- presentation at the annual convention of the Catholic Theological Society of America, in San Antonio (TX) on June 8-11, 2006.
by Thomas Dailey, OSFS, S.T.D.
Serves on the editorial board of the Indian Journal of Spirituality
Serves on the committee for "ensuring effective catechetical programs" for the 2006 Synod of the Diocese of Allentown
- "The Anthropological Question Underlying Bioethical Discussions" -- paper presentation (with Peter Leonard, OSFS) at the biennial conference on Ultimate Reality and Meaning, in Toronto (Canada), August 4, 2005 ; revised version to be published in the June 2006 volume of the Ultimate Realty and Meaning Journal
- "The World of Evil" -- three lectures offered in the education program at the Lehigh County (PA) Senior Center, on Septmeber 14, 21, and 28, 2005.
- "Being, Becoming and Believing: The Adventure of Phenomenology with John Paul II" -- inaugural Edith Stein Lecture at Immaculata University on October 12, 2005
- "The Eucharist: A Martyrdom of Love" -- homily for the feast of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, at the Visitation monastery in Philadelphia (PA) on October 16, 2005
- "The Rhapsody of Religious Life: A Retreat with John Paul II" -- renovation retreat for the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary, in Brooklyn (NY) on November 18-20, 2005
- "Saints lead us on the search for ourselves" -- op-ed publication in The Morning Call newspapers, on January 19, 2006
- "God Is Love" -- a Salesian Men's retreat at Malvern (PA) on February 17-19, 2006
- "Someone or Something? The Meta-Ethical Question in Healthcare" -- Surgical Grand Rounds presentation at Easton Hospital on February 24, 2006
- "Suffering in Light of Christ's Passion" -- retreat presentation for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel parish, on April 8, 2006
- "What's So Catholic about Charity?" -- keynote presentation to the Catholic Social Services Agency of the diocese of Allentown, on May 12, 2006.
- "On a Spiritual Note" -- series of commentaries published in On The Boards, the playbill for the ACT ONE theatre program at DeSales University
by Rodney Howsare, Ph.D.
Secretary of the Theological Committee for the 2006 Synod of the Diocese of Allentown
- "Why Begin with Love? On Benedict XVI's First Encyclical" -- presentation at the Lehigh University Newman Center (Bethlehem, PA) on March 15.
by Brian Kane, Ph.D.
Serves on the committee for "strengthening Catholic family life" for the 2006 Synod of the Diocese of Allentown
- "On Catholic Moral Theology" -- a series of five lectures for the Diocese of Tulsa (OK) in March 2006
by Gregory Kerr, Ph.D.
Serves on the editorial board for Vera Lex (the International Natural Law Journal)
- has published in Vera Lux a report on the 2005 conference of the American Maritain Association
- presented a paper on relativism at the 2006 annual conference of the American Maritain Association in Washington, DC
by Stephen Loughlin, Ph.D.
Serves as coordinator of "The Aquinas Translation Project"
Serves on the board of advisors for Nova Et Vetera
- "Aquinas on Sorrow" - published in Nova et Vetera, 3/4 (Fall 2005).
by Patricia Pintado, Ph.D.
- "Intolerance of Public Religion" -- paper presented at the conference of the American Political Science Association, held in Washington (DC) in September
- will be presenting a paper on the notion of "work" in the new compendium of Catholic Social Teaching, at the meeting of the Society of Catholic Social Scientists
- disseration on Kant's Notion of Culture to be published by The Catholic University of America Press
by Mark Plaushin, OSFS, M.Div.
- "Provoking Peace in Time of Conflict" -- presentation at the annual Joseph Power Conference on Salesian Spirituality, in Durham (NC) on August 4-7, 2005.
- "Service in the desert fosters a deeper faith" -- op-ed publication in The Morning Call newspaper (Lehigh Valley, PA) on April 19, 2006.
- "Catholic devotion is sharpened in conflict" -- published in The A.D. Times newspaper (diocese of Allentown, PA) on May 4, 2006
by Alexander Pocetto, OSFS, Ph.D.
- Translation of "A Little Treatise on Holy Communion" by St. Francis de Sales
- "Mary and the Eucharist in the View of St. Francis de Sales" -- novena talk at Our Lady of Pompeii parish (Bethlehem, PA), November 2005.
- "Salesian-Oblate Approach to Education" -- presentation at St. Anthony of Padua grade school (Wilmington, DE) on March 27, 2006
- "Humans Are Meant for Communion" -- retreat presentations to the Daughters of St. Francis de Sales (Washington, DC) on March 31-April 1, 2006 and to the Fraternity of St. Francis de Sales (St. Louis, MO) on April 21-23, 2006.
- "Supreme Blessedness: The Beatitudes as seen by St. Francis de Sales" -- presentation at the St. Francis Renewal Center (Bethlehem, PA), April 30, 2006.
by William Urbine, D.Min.
||Some of these documents are viewable using Adobe Reader. Simply click on the Adobe Icon to download and install the free Reader from the Adobe Website and you will be able to view these documents, as well as other documents on the DeSales Website.||