Candidates' Forum Live Telecast Held at DeSales University
DeSales University, the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of the Lehigh Valley and WFMZ-TV, Ch. 69 News hosted an unprecedented Candidates Night featuring nearly all federal and state candidates related to the Lehigh Valley running for election this year from the Democrat and Republican parties and also two from the Green Party on Thursday, October 26. No surrogates are participating, only candidates.
Confirmed attendees to date include:
- Republicans: Congressman Charles Dent, Senator Pat Browne, Bonnie Dodge, Senator Robert Wonderling, Rep. Karen Beyer, Dawn Berrigan, Douglas Reichley and Eddie Tiborcio.
- Democrats: Charles Dertinger, Richard Orloski, Senator Lisa Boscola, Dave Wilsey, Linda Minger, Joseph Brennan, Christopher Casey, Steve Samuelson and Russ Shade.
- Green Party: Guy Gray and Greta Browne.
U.S. Senator Rick Santorum (R) has confirmed he will attend the Hispanic Chamber's forum if Bob Casey, Jr. (D) attends, however, Casey's office would not commit him to attend to date. Governor Rendell (D) and Lynn Swann (R) are still working out how they can participate.
Each candidate will have some minutes to respond to one or more of the following three questions:
- The Lehigh Valley has seen industries come and go: Bethlehem Steel, Lucent and others. What will you do, if elected, to promote the Lehigh Valley as a center for industry and to create incentives for corporations to relocate here bringing their high-paying jobs?
- The Lehigh Valley has seen a 46 percent growth in Hispanic businesses, as per the last census count. What will you do, if elected, to ensure we sustain and grow this segment of the business community?
- Members of the audience will have the opportunity to submit questions to the panel and some may be chosen.
The Lehigh Valley Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is the largest Hispanic business organization in Pennsylvania, with over 200 member organizations. Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic group in the Commonwealth, and may well constitute the swing group within the Lehigh Valley, the commonwealth's swing electoral region.
The live telecast portion of the event will begin at 7 p.m. sharp in the Main Stage of the Labuda Center for the Performing Arts at DeSales University. There will be a welcoming reception from 6 p.m. to 6:50 p.m. and a networking mixer after the telecast until 9:30 p.m. The HCCLV invites the Lehigh Valley Business Community to learn from this exceptional event and enjoy dinner, drinks and music with Hispanic flavor, while meeting and connecting with important politicians and members of our region.
Following are the details of the event:
||Thursday, October 26, 2006|
6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
6:00 p.m. to 6:50 p.m., welcome reception
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., live telecast
8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., mixer with refreshments and traditional Latin music
||Labuda Center for the Performing Arts|
|| Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of the Lehigh Valley, Channel 69 EdiciónEn Espaol and DeSales University|
For more information, please contact Wendy DeMarco Fuentes, Spin Advisors at 484-223-1518 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Penny Savakis, director of public relations at DeSales University, at 610-282-1100, ext. 1477, or Penny.Savakis@DeSales.edu.