The Theatre Department at DeSales University is known as one of the premier programs of its kind on the East Coast. With proximity to New York and Philadelphia, students have the opportunity to experience great performances as well as to be exposed to numerous guest artists. The faculty is outstanding; the facilities state-of-the-art. The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival, the professional outgrowth of the program, enables DeSales students to work with seasoned professionals.
- Theatre Scholarship Auditions are
Saturday, December 8, 2012 and Sunday, January 20, 2013 (learn more)
Students can specialize in Acting/Directing, Design/Tech, Musical Theatre, or Theatre Education.The four tracks allow you to explore one or more areas in great depth, enabling you to make a sound choice regarding career options after graduation.
- Actor/Directors receive thorough and broad-based training from a variety of teachers through many performance courses, including all levels of acting, movement/combat, voice/speech, acting styles, acting for the camera and a Shakespeare tour.
- Musical Theatre performers may also select from musical theatre and dance courses, as well as private voice instruction.
Master Classes with guest artists supplement the training curriculum. Performance opportunities each year include four main-stage productions, second stage productions, and more than fifty studio projects.
- Designers/Technicians/Stage Managers receive the benefits of focused, individual attention from four full-time design and technology faculty/staff members. Students participate in a sophisitcated and demanding production system that provides multiple leadership opportunities to develop proficiency in all technical areas and may choose to concentrate in a particular area of interest.
See our blog ►
- Theatre Education students establish and strengthen their professional level discipline and performance skills in the field of theatre education.
- DeSales University's Theatre Program Handbook (pdf)
The Program Boasts:
- Thorough, individualized studio training
- Nine full time faculty, all working professional artists, and six full time professional theatre staff plus six adjunct private voice teachers
- A beautiful, state-of-the-art facility
- Critically acclaimed Main Stage and Second Stage productions attended by 25,000 patrons annually
- A Senior Showcase presented each spring at a New York City Theatre before an audience of leading industry professionals, agents, managers, and casting directors. (see Showcase blog)
- Scores of studio productions
- Unparalleled internships with The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival, a world class professional regional theatre located on the DeSales campus
- A "company" experience
- Academic rigor
- A long list of successful alumni
- Opportunities to study abroad in England, Ireland, and Rome
The Theatre major experience at DeSales can be compared to Olympic training: inspired, intense and balanced between mind, body and spirit. The program holds artistic excellence and academic excellence as mutually supportive and equally weighted goals. DeSales Theatre offers a feast of opportunities across all areas of theatre, as well as through the TV/Film and Dance programs. So, in the words of the Bard, we invite you to "feast with the best" at DeSales University Theatre.
- The Summer Theatre Institute
(STI) at DeSales University, in association with The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival, offers professional theatre training to high school and college students, educators, and members of the community.