DeSales University to Host Relay for Life, April 18-19
DeSales University will host the Relay for Life, a benefit walk honoring victims of cancer and cancer survivors on Friday and Saturday, April 18 and 19. The two-day event will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday and end at noon on Saturday. It will be held in the Mall at the McShea Student Center. Proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society.
Opening activities will start with a prayer, followed by a guest speaker who will reflect on their experiences with cancer. Participants in the relay include faculty, staff and students from DeSales who will walk around the Mall area behind McShea Student Center in honor of loved ones affected by cancer.
During the relay, each lap and activity will focus on a theme from movies, celebrities, and television shows. At dusk, there will be a luminaria ceremony. Luminaries will be lighted in honor of those whose lives have been touched by cancer. Candles in white bags will line the relay track, with each one bearing the name of a loved one. This ceremony of light symbolizes the hope and courage needed to continue the fight against cancer. The Relay for Life event will conclude in the morning with a breakfast and closing ceremonies.
- Dusk - Luminaria ceremony
- 10 p.m. - Best Grease Character and Team Tag of War. Participants will impersonate their favorite Grease character as they walk around the McShea Mall.
- 11 p.m. -Mummy Wrap Activity
- Midnight- Indiana Jones Impersonator Contest and Pyramid Crawl Activity
- 1 a.m.- Fight Back Ceremony-Pledge Cards
- 2 a.m.- Michael Jackson Impersonator and Flip Cup Tournament
- 2:15 a.m. - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles present Pizza Box Toss.
- 2:30 a.m. - Juice Pong. Winners will receive a Relay for Life mug filled with candy.
- 2:45 a.m. - Disney Princess Walk. Participants will impersonate their favorite Disney Princess as the walk around the McShea Mall.
- 3 a.m.- Goonies Treasure Hunt Activity
- 3:30 a.m. - Mr. Relay Struts down the Red Carpet. Guys who want to participate, dress like ladies and perform a talent as they walk down the red carpet to raise money. The guy who raises the most money will get crowned Mr. Relay.
- 4 a.m. - Cowboys vs. Indians Water Balloon Extravaganza.
- 4:30 a.m. - Wizard of Oz Skipping. Participants for this event will skip around the McShea Mall.
- 5 a.m.- Legend of the Hidden Temple Obstacle Course
- 6 a.m. - Singing in the Rain. In this activity participants will play the game of musical chairs.
- 6:30 a.m.- Pirate Scavenger Hunt
For more information on the DeSales University Relay for Life Benefit Walk please contact Beth Parthum at email@example.com.
Press Release: DeSales University to Host Relay for Life, April 18-19 | Posted on: 4/15/2008
For more info:
Tom McNamara, Executive Director of Communications
DeSales University | 2255 Station Avenue | Center Valley, PA 18034
610.282.1100 x1219 | Tom.McNamara@desales.edu