- Use the Trexler Library online catalog to locate some primary source materials. Search by author to find works by a historical figure, or by subject to find works about people or events. Secondary sources may also include primary materials.
- Use virtual libraries, Web directories or search in Web indexes to locate other primary source materials on the Web.
- Find reviews of historical books using Book Review Digest, Book Review Index or JSTOR. Some reviews are also available on the Web.
- When using a historical database to locate scholarly journal articles, search for a few key words if you don't know the best subject terms to use. Then examine relevant records and select subject terms from them to extend your search.
- Historical census data is available by searching the Library catalog, by using compilations in reference books, and from Web sites.
- Many libraries are now creating digital collections of historical maps on the Web.
Back to History Research