(February 13, 2009) - "Safe Spring Break" will be the focus of a week-long program from Mon., Feb. 23, to Fri., Feb. 27, at DeSales University. The program is designed to provide students with guidelines on how to stay safe during Spring Break and address a variety of topics, such as sun, travel, alcohol, tobacco and personal safety. The sponsor of the week-long activities is the DeSales Wellness Center, which is comprised of the DeSales Counseling Center and the DeSales Health Center.
From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. beginning Mon., Feb. 23, an information table will be set up near the WDSR radio station in the DeSales University Center where students will find literature and items addressing any number of safety concerns.
Also, a safe spring break kit featuring items such as sunscreen, lip balm with sunscreen, "how to recognize alcohol poisoning" magnets, water, granola, among other things, will be available to anyone who stops by the information table.
During the week, the information table will highlight the following:
- Monday, February 23, travel and safety information.
- On Tuesday, February 24, the University's Alcohol Task Force, coordinated by Jen Bunting, director of judicial affairs and assistant to the dean of students, will co-sponsor the educational table and provide literature on alcohol safety.
- Wednesday, February 25, Karen Horvath, melanoma survivor and founder and president of SolMates Sun Protection of Bethlehem, will sponsor an educational table offering sun safety information.
- Note: At 3 p.m. in the Commonwealth Room, Horvath will share her story. Following her presentation, there will be a raffle of a stay safe in the sun basket containing sunscreen tips for staying safe in the sun.
- Thursday, February 26, University Police will be co- sponsor an educational table and offer tips on how to protect your self and information on date rape drugs will be available.
- Friday, February 27, the focus will be on the dangers of tobacco use. Also, the dangers of tobacco use by a "social smoker," which often happens on spring break will be addressed.
Also, beginning Friday, February 20, prior to the scheduled activities in the DeSales University Center, posters addressing the theme of "Safe Spring Break" will be distributed throughout campus. In addition, residence halls will have a Spring Break bulletin board contest.
For more information, please contact Wendy Krisak, Assistant Director of Counseling and Coordinator of Character U the First Year Experience, at (610)-282-1100, ext. 1462 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Release: "Safe Spring Break" and Helping Students Stay Safe, Focus of Week-Long Activities, Feb. 23 To 27, at DeSales | Posted on: 2/13/2009
For more info:
Tom McNamara, Executive Director of Communications
DeSales University | 2255 Station Avenue | Center Valley, PA 18034
610.282.1100 x1219 | Tom.McNamara@desales.edu