On the Wings of Truth
Each Spring semester, the students in the Senior class of the ► Faith & Reason Honors Program undertake a 3-credit independent study, the culmination of which is a 30-50 page honors thesis. The topic of the thesis is chosen by the student, with the approval of the faculty advisor and the director of the Salesian Center for Faith & Culture.
The best thesis each year, as judged by the Review Committee of the Salesian Center, receives the annual "Faith & Reason" award.
The honors theses are grouped below according to class year. To see all the theses in a given year, follow the class links below. To read any particular thesis, click on the name of the student-author below:
Class of 2013
- ► Kathryn Stimpfle (EE)
"The Gospel of Womanhood According to Jane Eyre"
- ► Clint Badger (BiCh) - "An Investigation into the Scientific and Ethical Implications of Synthetic Cellular Biology"
- ► Anthony Calvano (HI) - "The Intrinsic Relationship between Faith and Reason Evidenced in the Just War Theory"
- ► Catherine Fischer (DA/MFS) - "Marriage: Real Unity Requires Real Difference"
- ► Jonathan Langton (CJ) - "Digital Forensics and Law Enforcement: An Impending and Necessary Paradigm Shift"
- ► Kelsie Massini (PO) - "U.S. Domestic Violence Legislation and the Application of Catholic Social Justice Theory"
- ► Scott Suleski (CJ) - "When the Badge Comes Off: An Informative Analysis of Side-Effects of Careers in Law Enforcement"
Class of 2012
- ► Robert Zanneo (MA/ED)
"The Negative Impact of Incentives on Human Behavior: The Difference Between Intrinsic/Extrinsic Motivation"
- ► Nicholas Ardito (SS) - "Corruption and Sports: A Relationship That Needs to End and What the Law Can Do to Help"
- ► Jordan Blank (PL) - "Theodicy and Utilitarianism: To Get God Off the Hook, Have We Ceded Too Much Ground?"
- ► Bridget Clark (BI) - "Assessing Ethical Concerns Involving Genetic Probing and Gene Therapy in the Treatment of Disease"
- ► Katelynn Henrich (CH) - "DNA and Fingerprints: Useful Forensic Tools or Challenges to the Justice System?"
- ► Nicole Kowalsky (MA) - "Mathematics in Nature: A Link to God?"
- ► Deborah Lubov (AB) - "The Role of Accounting in Recent Global Financial Crises in Italy and the Entire Euro-Zone"
- ► Melissa Millili (BI) - "The Physician's Oath: A Professional's Covenant with Life"
- ► Colleen Shelley (MA/CH) - "The Innate Unity and Sociality of Humanity and the Call to Service"
Class of 2011
► Benjamin Foster (BI)
"An Examination of the Intrinsic Ethical Concerns Associated with Synthetic Biology"
- ► Steven Cougan (CJ) - "A Critical Evaluation of Police Regarding Values"
- ► Caitrin Dougherty (CH) - "Crimes Against Children"
- ► Corey Foster (BI) - "The Human Mind: A Phenomenological Enigma?"
- ► Caitlin Lenker (CM) - "How Fictional Television Moms Have Promoted & Challenged Ideas about Motherhood"
- ► Stephanie O'Grady (TH) - "Thirst for Fullness: An Application of John Paul II's Theology of the Body to the Twilight Saga"
- ► Emily Rau (EN) - "Ralph Waldo Emerson as the Father of Transcendentalism"
- ► Alison Steibe (BI) - "To Give or Not to Give: The Morality of Organ Transplantation in the Modern World"
- ► Shannon Sulick (TH) - "The Little Doctor: The Controversy Surrounding St. Thérèse of Lisieux"
- ► Jessica Weaver (BI) - "A Study of Social Norms"
|Class of 2010
► Nicholas Schenk (BI)
"Personhood or Dignity: What Is the Foundation of Bioethics?"
- ► Ryan Blacker (AB/FN) - "Corporate Greed vs. Social Responsibility: Business Ethics for the 21st Century"
- ► Amanda Hartzell (EN/HI) - "Maritain's 'Madness' in Hamlet: Language as Creator, Dramatist, and Inspiration"
- ► Matthew Kuhner (PL/TH) - "Heaven Held Back: On the Reductions in Secularism and Fulfillment in Trinitarian Love"
- ► Margaret Wakelee (PL/TH) - "@ God: The Struggle to Pray in a Technological Age"
Class of 2009
► Lauren Greene (EN/ED)
"Thomas Merton: A Study of 20th Century Ideas for the 21st Century American Catholic"
- ► Marie Connelly (CH) - "Using Genetic Engineering to Combat World Hunger"
- ► Gretchen Dietz (EN) - "A Threat to Democracy: Corporate Ownership of the Media in the United States and Italy"
- ► Alyssandra Docherty (TR) - "Television, Women and True Self-Worth"
- ► Kathleen Glynn (DA) - "A Universal Undertow: The Sweeping Effects of Cancer on Man's Faith"
- ► Brenda Haggerty (BI) "Highs & Lows: America's Relationship with Drugs"
- ► Robert Killion (TVF) "An Examination of Humanity's Purpose through the Experience of Threatre and Film"
Class of 2008
► Rachel Coleman (BI)
"The Sins of our Fathers: The Current Generation and the Vice of Acedia"
Class of 2007
► Elizabeth Pfister (NU)
"The 'Human' in Human Immunodeficiency Virus: Focus on a Domestic and South African Stigma"
Class of 2006
Marian West (DA/MFS)
"Time to Move, Humanity, Art and Dance Redeemed"
- ► Mary DiFebo (BI) - "All You Need Is Love"
- ► Stef Heimbach (EN) - "The Curse on American Women: The Ideal Destroys the Real"
- ► John Lanzilotti (NU) - "Condomnation: The Underlying Truth of HIV/AIDS Prevention Strategies"
- ► Matthew Reppert (BI) - "Growing Up and the Time for Sports"
- ► Karen Salvemini (EN) - "Building Up and Chipping Away at Thomas Jefferson's Wall of Seperation of Church and State"
- ► Lauren Schuette (CJ) - "What If Everyting We Say Is Somehow a Lie?!"
- ► Robert Smyth (EN) - "The Nature of Riots: Socioeconomic and Political Conditions Inherent in Collective Action"
- ► Margaret Zawisza (MA) - "The Education of a Lifetime"
► information about the Faith & Reason Honors Program